uninstalling a selected port ...

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 06:36:46 PST 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 9:30 AM, Peter Danecek <Peter.Danecek at bo.ingv.it>wrote:

> On 28 Feb 2014, at 15:17, Jason Swails <jason.swails at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > An alternative when you know that you are uninstalling a port is to
> > select none.  So something like
> >
> > sudo port select --set postgresql none
> >
> > to get rid of the simlinks, then another
> >
> > sudo port select --set postgresql postgresql93
> >
> > to set the simlinks to the new version you want to track.  (This
> > approach is untested, but I think it should work.)  A feature request
> > may be for "port select" to detect dangling links and print an
> > informative message (perhaps with a suggested command to eliminate the
> > dangling links).  That's largely aesthetic, though.
>
> This does not work (tested).
> You cannot set new pointers after uninstalling the port, not even to none.
> I have not tested forcing but remove the link to be able to use port
> select again.
>
> I am not sure this is only aesthetic!

I'll agree with you now.  "-f" should only be required if you do something
atypical -- I don't like it as part of a required workflow.

I've needed it before, but that was when I deleted /opt/local to reinstall
MacPorts and file collisions occurred inside other folders (like
/Applications/MacPorts).

> (should we move this discussion on devel?)

I have no opinion here.  I'm not subscribed to that list and do not
actively help to maintain MacPorts...

All the best,
Jason

--