of KDE's kcookiejar and kded4 failing to launch automatically

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 20:25:48 PDT 2014

Hi René,

Sorry, I keep forgetting Reply All on this list.

On 01/07/2014, at 6:22 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> I've been having on and off issues with Konqueror telling me it couldn't access the cookiejar, and errors about the org.kde.kded service popping up in my logs or on the terminal when launching KDE apps from there.
> I've started a thread on it on the KDE forums; most relevant recent posts: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=121719&p=314363#p314176
>
> As observed there, it turns out that kded4 fails to load through the launchd scripts. When I launch it by hand, it works fine.
>
> Is this a known fact, or is something wrong with my installation? I cannot imagine no one else noticed this, as the cookie error popup that konqueror posts when opening its settings dialog (when kded4 isn't running) is hard to miss.

It is *becoming* known … :-)  It is also partly responsible for KDE apps not
handling crashes properly.  They should be running the Dr Konqi app and
helping the Apple OS X user to report a bug on bugs.kde.org.

For a brief idea of what kded4 is, see:
http://kdepepo.wordpress.com/2011/05/11/troubleshooting-kded4-bugs/

Its uses in Apple OS X are somewhat rare, so IMHO we should not have to run
it all the time in every MacPorts installation.  There ought to be more portable
ways for KDE to achieve the same effects on a non-KDE desktop IMHO.

Please feel free to join us on kde-mac as Marko has suggested.  Maybe you
would like to skim the recent archives there and on kde-devel [1] and [2].
What Boudewijn Rempt, a seasoned KDE developer, has to say is rather
interesting.

Cheers, Ian W.

[1] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-mac/2014-June/thread.html
[2] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=140395194825994&w=2