PIL + ReportLab vs Pillow

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jul 2 22:57:53 PDT 2014

On Jul 2, 2014, at 9:53 PM, Glenn Ramsey wrote:

> Is there a way that I can have both PIL and Pillow installed at the same time?
>
> PIL 1.1.7 has a bug that affects my code, and the bug is fixed in Pillow.

1.1.7 appears to be the latest version of pil available. Have you reported the problem to the developers of pil already? Or is pil no longer being developed?

> The py27-pil and py27-Pillow packages are mutually exclusive so I can't have them both installed from MacPorts.

You've answered your own question there: pil and pillow conflict (i.e. install the same files), so they cannot be installed at the same time -- for the same version of python, that is. You can't install py27-pil and py27-pillow at the same time. But you should be able to install e.g. py26-pil and py27-pillow at the same time, since they are for different python versions.

> I also need ReportLab, but it has a dependency on PIL so I can't just replace PIL with Pillow.

To be exact, py27-reportlab depends on py27-pil, while py33-reportlab and py34-reportlab depend on py33-Pillow and py34-Pillow respectively, and py24-reportlab, py25-reportlab and py26-reportlab depend on neither pil nor pillow. So if using different versions of python is acceptable to you, you should be able to get all the software you want installed and activated at the same time.