PIL + ReportLab vs Pillow

Glenn Ramsey gr at componic.co.nz
Thu Jul 3 16:38:01 PDT 2014

On 03/07/14 17:57, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

 > On Jul 2, 2014, at 9:53 PM, Glenn Ramsey wrote:
 >
 >> Is there a way that I can have both PIL and Pillow installed at the same
 >> time?
 >>
 >> PIL 1.1.7 has a bug that affects my code, and the bug is fixed in Pillow.
 >
 > 1.1.7 appears to be the latest version of pil available. Have you reported
 > the problem to the developers of pil already? Or is pil no longer being
 > developed?

It is active but was last updated years ago, hence the existence of the Pillow fork.

 >> The py27-pil and py27-Pillow packages are mutually exclusive so I can't
 >> have them both installed from MacPorts.
 >
 > You've answered your own question there: pil and pillow conflict (i.e.
 > install the same files), so they cannot be installed at the same time -- for
 > the same version of python, that is. You can't install py27-pil and
 > py27-pillow at the same time. But you should be able to install e.g. py26-pil
 > and py27-pillow at the same time, since they are for different python
 > versions.
 >
 >> I also need ReportLab, but it has a dependency on PIL so I can't just
 >> replace PIL with Pillow.
 >
 > To be exact, py27-reportlab depends on py27-pil, while py33-reportlab and
 > py34-reportlab depend on py33-Pillow and py34-Pillow respectively, and
 > py24-reportlab, py25-reportlab and py26-reportlab depend on neither pil nor
 > pillow. So if using different versions of python is acceptable to you, you
 > should be able to get all the software you want installed and activated at
 > the same time.

Ok, thanks, so it looks like I can't have py27-reportlab and py27-Pillow, which
is the combination that I need.

What I have done is to uninstall all of those and py27-pip and installed the
PyPI versions of pip and reportlab. That version of reportlab pulls in Pillow,
so I get what I wanted. It seems to be working for now.