PIL + ReportLab vs Pillow

Mihai Moldovan ionic at ionic.de
Sat Jul 5 12:31:24 PDT 2014

Hi,

I've actually hit this "issue" today.

I need rst2pdf, which has an (undeclared, I'll fix this) runtime dependency on
py27-Pillow and py27-reportlab.

py27-reportlab currently depends on py27-pil, while newer subports depend on Pillow.

I've been in touch with the maintainer, I hope I can quote his answer freely.

* On 05.07.2014 05:27 pm, Andrew Stromnov wrote:
>    Dependency on PIL (py27-pil) comes from good old times, when Pillow even did not exist.
>
>    PIL software was abandoned in 2007, and so don’t have any support for py3k.

This said, my proposal is to also switch py27-reportlab to py27-Pillow, as I see
no good reason to keep depending on pil. I have already patched this, but have
to test it (only lightly with rst2pdf) before filing a trac ticket and posting
the patch.

Glenn, I believe this will also fix your initial problem?

Best regards,

Mihai