Having trouble starting gnome-terminal on Mavericks

jsg72 at mac.com jsg72 at mac.com
Mon Jun 2 08:42:36 PDT 2014

Thanks for your help.  The plist file exists and it looks like it’s running, but I still get the same error.

$ ls /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.freedesktop.dbus-system.plist
/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.freedesktop.dbus-system.plist

$ sudo launchctl list | grep -i dbus
103	-	org.freedesktop.dbus-system

$ gnome-terminal
Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process org.gnome.Terminal exited with status 1

It seems the error is in StartServiceByName.  I know very little about launchctl and nothing about dbus, but does there need to be some kind of name mapping registered for “org.gnome.Terminal"?

When I start gnome-teriminal, XQuartz starts up if it’s not already running, so it looks like some part of the initialization is working correctly.