z88 Aurora

Adam Dershowitz Ph.D., P.E. dersh at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jun 9 16:06:26 PDT 2014

--Adam

On Jun 8, 2014, at 9:29 PM, Mark Brethen <mark.brethen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2014, at 6:02 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 7, 2014, at 5:10 PM, Mark Brethen wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know for certain that the developers used MacPorts, what gave you that impression?
>>
>> The fact that it installed files into /opt/local.
>>

> The installation consists of two compressed files:
>
> gtk4z88.tar.gz
> z88aurorav2_en.tar.gz
>
> The first is a GTK+-package needed for execution of Z88Aurora. It contains an /opt/local directory tree, with files in /opt/local/etc and opt/local/lib. I compared the contents of /lib with my macports /lib directory and noticed only these files are missing:
>
> /opt/local/lib/libgdkglext-x11-1.0.0.dylib
> /opt/local/lib/libgtkglext-x11-1.0.0.dylib
> /opt/local/lib/libpangox-1.0.0.dylib
> /opt/local/lib/libpng12.0.dylib
>
> The second file contains the program, which can be launched from the terminal or with an accompanying app. You are instructed to uncompress it in your user directory.
>
> So It looks like he may have used macports to build the GTK+ package for his program. If one were to write a port file for this, could you just check for GTK and all its dependencies and then move the app into the macports applications directory?
>
> There are also some fonts in the /opt/local/etc/fonts directory which are not present in my macports install. I don't know the source of these fonts.
>
> I've emailed the developer and waiting for a response.
>
> Mark

The above libraries are provided by gtkglext, pangox-compat and libpng.  It appears that the developer used macports to build each of those, and then copied the files over.  As, I have versions of each already installed from Macports, I figured I would attempt to just run the application with just the macport versions, without installing the versions that the developer provides.

But, it didn’t work.  I believe the problem is that z88 Aurora is trying to use an older version of libpng.  Above wants 12, while I have 1.6.10 installed (libpng16.16.dylib).  Tthe error that I get when I try to run it is:
 ./aurorastartv2
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libpng12.0.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/adershowitz/z88aurorav2/bin/mac/./z88aurora
  Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
	/usr/local/lib/libpng12.0.dylib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
./aurorastartv2: line 5: 20411 Trace/BPT trap: 5       z88aurora

Since I have libpng built as universal, I find this error surprising.  Unless z88 is attempting to use the PPC version?
So, it seems that the developer will have to fix z88 for it to be compatible with Macports.  I hope that they are responsive to your email.

—Adam