Installing along Homebrew

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sun Jun 15 03:14:49 PDT 2014

Hi,

> This is a know problem and has been a problem for years. Mkvtoolnix
> needs C++11 and has to be built with ... well ... either gcc or
> clang/libc++.

so since semaphore45 uses Snow Leopard his/her mkvtoolnix is built using
GCC against MacPorts' copy of libstdc++ (because the host one doesn't
support C++11) and boost is built against the host libstdc++ (because
that's what MacPorts does by default on Snow Leopard)?

So the crash is an incompatibility between MacPorts' libstdc++ and the
host copy? I'm asking because that's the first crash I'm aware of for
this particular combination.

Btw, this problem is by no means isolated to mkvtoolnix. Other ports
that need C++11 have the same problem on systems earlier than Mavericks,
and there has been a lot of discussion on -dev about this a few months
ago. I think in the end it came down to the option of ignoring the
host compiler's default C++ runtime library and always use clang/libc++.
In the end we decided that we don't have the manpower to pull this off
and would just mark all ports that need C++11 as broken on systems
earlier than Mavericks.

We could make an exception in the case of mkvtoolnix since somebody
already did the hard work of porting extra copies of ICU and boost, but
then again mkvtoolnix doesn't have a maintainer, and that's a job for
somebody who is interested enough in mkvtoolnix to volunteer as
maintainer.

--
Clemens Lang