Installing along Homebrew

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 02:30:33 PDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Clemens Lang wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> On command
>> $ mkvmerge -v -o lplde.mkv cd1.avi + cd2.avi
>>
>> it gave:
>> mkvmerge(36577) malloc: *** error for object 0x7fff70726500: pointer being
>> freed was not allocated
>> *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
>> Abort trap
>>
>> Any idea?
>
> That looks a lot like a standard library incompatibility problem. Those
> happen when mkvmerge is linked against a different (incompatible) C++
> runtime library than its library dependencies and objects are passed across
> the boundaries between the binary and the libraries.
>
> You can check whether that's the case using
>   otool -L `which mkvmerge`,
> then select a library from your MacPorts prefix in the output of this
> command (e.g. one of the boost libraries) and do the same. If one of them
> contains libc++.dylib and a different one libstdc++.dylib, that's your
> problem (and for us to fix, and what we've been discussing).

This is a know problem and has been a problem for years. Mkvtoolnix
needs C++11 and has to be built with ... well ... either gcc or
clang/libc++.

Someone posted a fix, but the ticket was closed as "duplicate" of
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/40231 before anyone even took a look:
    https://trac.macports.org/ticket/34806#comment:24

> otool -L /opt/local/bin/mkvmerge
/opt/local/bin/mkvmerge:
    /opt/local/lib/libmagic.1.dylib
    /opt/local/lib/libz.1.dylib
    /opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
    /opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib
    /opt/local/lib/libcurl.4.dylib
    /opt/local/lib/libboost_regex-mt.dylib
    /opt/local/lib/libboost_filesystem-mt.dylib
    /opt/local/lib/libboost_system-mt.dylib
    /opt/local/lib/libFLAC.8.dylib
    /opt/local/lib/libogg.0.dylib
    /opt/local/lib/libvorbis.0.dylib