How would I Upgrade Outdated but hold back or not update one specific package?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jun 20 16:23:10 PDT 2014

On Jun 17, 2014, at 11:42 AM, bunk3m <bunk3m at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17.06.2014 11:38 , Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>>> A follow-on question.
>> not a simple answer, but:
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/InstallingOlderPort
> Thank you Daniel and Jeremy.
>
> I followed the directions on the linked page under the heading
> "Installation".  I downloaded the files in the MyPaint @ 115019 as this
> looks like the version prior to the recent update.   The Portfile shows
> version 2 so should be building 1.1.0_2.
>
> When I ran sudo port install from the directory with the downloaded
> files but the compile process downloads 1.1.0_3 and then fails the build.
>
> I also tried to run "sudo port install MyPaint 1.1.0_2" and "sudo port
> install MyPaint @1.1.0_2" with the same result.
>
> Could you provide me with additional guidance on what I should be doing?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> CLI info on failed build below.
> ====
> From the MyPaint directory
> ====
> sudo port install
> Password:
> --->  Computing dependencies for MyPaint
> --->  Activating MyPaint @1.1.0_2

This shows you already had 1.1.0_2 installed.

> --->  Cleaning MyPaint
> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
> --->  Found 2 broken file(s), matching files to ports
> --->  Found 1 broken port(s), determining rebuild order
> --->  Rebuilding in order
>     MyPaint @1.1.0

This shows MacPorts thinks it's broken, so it wants to rebuild the latest version of it.

> --->  Computing dependencies for MyPaint
> --->  Fetching archive for MyPaint
> --->  Attempting to fetch MyPaint-1.1.0_3.darwin_12.x86_64.tbz2 from
> http://packages.macports.org/MyPaint
> --->  Attempting to fetch MyPaint-1.1.0_3.darwin_12.x86_64.tbz2 from
> http://mse.uk.packages.macports.org/sites/packages.macports.org/MyPaint
> --->  Attempting to fetch MyPaint-1.1.0_3.darwin_12.x86_64.tbz2 from
> http://lil.fr.packages.macports.org/MyPaint
> --->  Fetching distfiles for MyPaint
> --->  Verifying checksums for MyPaint
> --->  Extracting MyPaint
> --->  Applying patches to MyPaint
> --->  Configuring MyPaint
> --->  Building MyPaint
> Error: org.macports.build for port MyPaint returned: command execution
> failed

The rebuild fails, for probably the same reason it fails on everyone else's system:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/43504

You should at this point have 1.1.0_2 installed, however it is broken, because its dependency json-c was updated in such a way that requires dependents to rebuild. So if you wanted to use it, you would also have to downgrade json-c to the previous version.

To resolve this properly, we probably need to wait for the developers of MyPaint to deal with this problem. I filed a ticket with them:

https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?21981

Last time I checked, they had not dealt with it, however I see now that they did respond 9 days ago to say that this may be fixed in their latest (not yet released) code. I have not yet tried to test it to see if that is true.