infinality patches

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 15:10:18 PDT 2014

On Jun 23, 2014, at 23:45, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:

> What is infinality?
They're a set of patches that aim to improve font rendering quality. With them, quality is at least as good as it is under MS Windows or Mac OS X, possibly even better (with the usual personal taste caveats).
http://www.infinality.net/blog/infinality-freetype-patches/

> It's best to just get things into X.org directly rather than maintaining a bunch of patches.

They're patches to Freetype2, I'm not sure to what extent that's a part of X.org properly speaking, or one of its dependencies. I also remember that with Apple's X11 many people (me included) used a libfreetype that had certain rendering features activated that Apple had deactivated in the version they shipped. If there was a valid reason for that, it could concern binaries including the Infinality patches as well.

R.