Mac Application Only Recognizes Absolute Paths for Pango

Tony Kubalak apk at uwalumni.com
Mon Jun 23 16:31:32 PDT 2014

I have an application built with macports using gtk+quartz, pang and
fontconfig.  I
have built the bundle and populated Resources/etc/pango with pangrc and
pango.modules.  I set PANGO_RC_FILE="$bundle_etc/pango/pangorc" in the
launcher script.

pangorc:
[Pango]
ModuleFiles=XX.app2/Contents/Resources/etc/pango/pango.modules

XX is the application name.

If I run the application form a terminal window by running:

XX.app/Contents/MacOS/XX things work fine.

However, if I run the application XX from a finder window by double
clicking I get a Pango_CRITICAL **: No modules found.

If I change the bundle's pangorc file so it looks like:

pangorc:
[Pango]
ModuleFiles=/top/subdir1/XX.app2/Contents/Resources/etc/pango/pango.modules

then double clicking the application works fine.

I have also set PANGO_LIBDIR="$bundle_lib" and
PANGO_SYSCONFDIR="$bundle_etc" in the launcher script.

I have tried many different combinations, but nothing other than full paths
work when starting the application from the finder.

I checked my macports system for pango and got.

port info pango

pango @1.36.3 (x11)
Variants:             builtin_modules, quartz, universal, [+]x11

So I thought that  maybe I had the wrong pango so I tried to uninstall it
and I got:

port uninstall pango

--->  Unable to uninstall pango @1.36.3_0+quartz+x11, the following ports
depend on it:
--->   gtk2 @2.24.23_0+quartz
--->   gstreamer1-gst-plugins-base @1.2.4_0+ogg+x11
Error: org.macports.uninstall for port pango returned: Please uninstall the
ports that depend on pango first.

This looks ilke I have pango for quartz even though "info" indicated
otherwise.

I would appreciate any help I can get on this.

Thanks.

Tony