Mac Application Only Recognizes Absolute Paths for Pango

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jun 23 18:05:57 PDT 2014

On Jun 23, 2014, at 6:31 PM, Tony Kubalak wrote:

> I have an application built with macports using gtk+quartz, pang and fontconfig.  I
> have built the bundle and populated Resources/etc/pango with pangrc and pango.modules.  I set PANGO_RC_FILE="$bundle_etc/pango/pangorc" in the launcher script.
>
> pangorc:
> [Pango]
> ModuleFiles=XX.app2/Contents/Resources/etc/pango/pango.modules
>
> XX is the application name.
>
> If I run the application form a terminal window by running:
>
> XX.app/Contents/MacOS/XX things work fine.
>
> However, if I run the application XX from a finder window by double clicking I get a Pango_CRITICAL **: No modules found.
>
> If I change the bundle's pangorc file so it looks like:
>
> pangorc:
> [Pango]
> ModuleFiles=/top/subdir1/XX.app2/Contents/Resources/etc/pango/pango.modules
>
> then double clicking the application works fine.
>
> I have also set PANGO_LIBDIR="$bundle_lib" and PANGO_SYSCONFDIR="$bundle_etc" in the launcher script.
>
> I have tried many different combinations, but nothing other than full paths work when starting the application from the finder.
>
> I checked my macports system for pango and got.
>
> port info pango
>
> pango @1.36.3 (x11)
> Variants:             builtin_modules, quartz, universal, [+]x11
>
> So I thought that  maybe I had the wrong pango so I tried to uninstall it and I got:
>
> port uninstall pango
>
> --->  Unable to uninstall pango @1.36.3_0+quartz+x11, the following ports depend on it:
> --->  	gtk2 @2.24.23_0+quartz
> --->  	gstreamer1-gst-plugins-base @1.2.4_0+ogg+x11
> Error: org.macports.uninstall for port pango returned: Please uninstall the ports that depend on pango first.
>
> This looks ilke I have pango for quartz even though "info" indicated otherwise.

"port info pango" does not consider what version you have installed; it should you what would be installed if you installed it now.

"port installed pango" shows you what is installed.

> I would appreciate any help I can get on this.

I'm the maintainer of pango but I'm not familiar with what you're doing. If you have questions about how pango works or how to make it do what you want, you should write to the developers of pango.