registry malformed after a kernel panic interrupted port build

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Thu Jun 26 20:51:55 PDT 2014

I just upgraded to 2.3.1 and experienced a kernel panic while later
upgrading ports. I'm fairly certain the panic was unrelated.

Anyway, once booted I went to finish the port upgrades and found my
registry.db is now corrupt.

> sqlite error: database disk image is malformed (11) while executing query: ATTACH DATABASE '/opt/local/var/macports/registry/registry.db' AS registry
>     while executing
> "registry::open $db_path"
>     (procedure "mportinit" line 610)
>     invoked from within
> "mportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, sqlite error: database disk image is malformed (11) while executing query: ATTACH DATABASE '/opt/local/var/macports/registry/registry.db' AS registry

I did find tickets 32686 [1] and 36126 [2], but neither seems to have
a solution. One reply suggested that restoring from a backup may work
and I do have such a backup from a few days ago (probably the last
time I touched the port command).

Will restoring from this backup leave things out of sync? I did
successfully upgrade a few ports before the panic, so I imagine some
port versions and installed files won't match. Is a reinstall of all
ports in my future?

Thanks for any tips.

--Arno

[1]: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/32686