build error x264 on OS X 10.9.1

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 08:02:17 PST 2014

On Mar 01, 2014, at 16:36, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> Anything that touches or might ever be used by C++ has to use clang's C++ runtime, not gcc's. This is because Apple switched all the system libraries to clang. (It's a bit more complex than that, look in the FAQ for something closer to the real story. http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#libcpp)

That seems to apply more to using "more recent LLVM/Clang" on 10.8 and earlier (is clang-3.3 "more recent" or "older"?) than on using recent gcc versions on 10.9 ... but it looks like the real bottleneck is not the copyright flavour but binary (in)compatibility between regular (old?) C++ and C++11. I can't remember having looked at how much of C++11 GCC supports, but if it does (or is planned), wouldn't its libc++ follow?

> Your suggestion would work fine on Linux where gcc's C++ runtime is the standard one (and Linux isn't allergic to GPL3 like Apple is, so it can use a newer libstdc++ that is compatible with clang's libc++), but Apple sets the rules here by what it does with system/Xcode provided libraries, and the MacPorts team has already spent too much time failing to find ways to make gcc's runtime coexist with clang's.

That I can understand, but what exactly does it mean for using gcc in one's own projects?