build error x264 on OS X 10.9.1

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 08:14:17 PST 2014

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 11:02 AM, "René J.V. Bertin" <rjvbertin at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mar 01, 2014, at 16:36, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> That seems to apply more to using "more recent LLVM/Clang" on 10.8 and
> earlier (is clang-3.3 "more recent" or "older"?) than on using recent gcc
> versions on 10.9 ... but it looks like the real bottleneck is not the
> copyright flavour but binary (in)compatibility between regular (old?) C++

The copyright comes in because the compatible libstdc++ is GPL3 so Apple
refuses to ship or support it.

That I can understand, but what exactly does it mean for using gcc in one's
> own projects?

Use with care, don't expect C++ stuff built with g++ to work with Apple's
libraries. (gcc later than 4.2 uses the license-incompatible libstdc++,
which is why Apple froze gcc at 4.2 in xcode for so long.) C-only stuff is
probably okay. But you can't generally get away with using gcc for C and
clang++ for C++ in a mixed language project, and there isn't that much out
there in C++ that doesn't have some C glue somewhere because most libraries
are in C.

I'm not up on the full extent of the incompatibility, but there are a lot
of bug reports resulting from attempting to mix g++ compiled stuff with
Apple libraries with Xcode 5 so apparently there are more than just license
issues involved.