upgrading MacPorts after updating from 10.6 to 10.9 - missing gnutar?

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 02:15:29 PST 2014

On Mar 02, 2014, at 01:29, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2014, at 06:48, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Given that I do not myself have any direct requirements on perl versions, shouldn't I just have removed all references to specific perl5 versions/variants, or bumped all +perl5_12 to +perl5_16?
>
> I recommend that.

Ok, good in that case I didn't wait - seems it worked. I even could uninstall perl5.12 without complaints. I've had some errors about variants that apparently were (attempted to be) installed with the perl5_12 but a clean and manual (re)install without reference to perl variants seems to have done the trick.
I had to kill the initial installation of ImageMagick because clang spent 447 minutes on compiling coders/png.c  but the 2nd time the restore script encountered the package it started staging (almost) immediately. Weird, out-of-memory condition in the VM, maybe?

> I’d try “sudo port uninstall installed and name:^p5.12”. If nothing depends on them, that should succeed. If that fails, it’ll tell you what port requires it. You can then investigate whether that port offers variants for newer versions of perl.

Thing is, none of the p5.12 ports install because of a missing package in CPAN (YAML if memory serves me well, let me know if I it's worth the time to raise an issue on this; I'd reckon one of you can just as easily try to install a "light" p5.12 package and decide whether CPAN is indeed missing required bits, and whether that justifies removing the p5.12 packages from the repo all together?)

> Since it was only recently that the default perl was changed from 5.12 to 5.16, there are probably still many ports that depend unconditionally on 5.12 and have yet to be updated to 5.16. If you find such ports, please file tickets.

Oh great, I love playing guinea pig --- groink! :) Fortunately it seems for now that p5.16 ports have been pulled in where required.