building kde4-baseapps (10.6.8)

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 18:25:20 PST 2014

On 03/03/2014, at 11:34 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Mar 02, 2014, at 23:02, Ian Wadham wrote:
>> A lot of the portability of the libraries stems from the underlying Qt 4
>> library (see 'port info qt4-mac'), which is a very good fit on OS X and
>
> That's what I'd hope, indeed! Pity that the same portability hasn't been assured in the non-graphics departments…

Qt is an across-the-board library, not just graphics.  It is similar in scope
to Cocoa/XCode, but portable across Linux, Windows and OS X.

>> Running simple KDE apps (i.e. apps that do not depend too much on KDE
>> desktop background processes, daemons, etc.) is fine, because of library
>> portability (see above).
>
> Do those background processes use that many non-portable features?

Yes, but I don't know what they all are.  I have tried to find out … :-(  They
are portable, in a language and library sense, but not in a design sense.
KDE/Linux is one desktop/OS and OS X is another.  It's a difference in
infrastructure.

French cars run OK on Australian roads using local petrol, but I doubt
if a Train Grande Vitesse would run very well on Australian tracks.  The
distance between the rails would be different, just for starters … :-)

Macports is aware of DBus, kdeinit and kbuildsycoca4 processes, but
after that we are a little in the dark.  If you make any progress with
Calligra, please let the Macports guys know how you did it.

>> I have been using LibreOffice (and Open Office before it) for many
>> years --- on Windows, KDE/Linux and now OS X.
>
> So have I, until using the X11 variant (1.12) became impossible, and
> I had to find an alternative that handles PS figures correctly.
> But yes, if necessary I'll go back to using OpenOffice.

Switch to LibreOffice --- it's made in France, n'est ce pas?  It's up to
version 4.2 and there has been no mention of X11 in version 3.3,
which I am currently using.  Oh, I got it from the LibreOffice website.
It's a fork from OpenOffice and the Oracle company a few years ago.

Cheers, Ian W.