building kde4-baseapps (10.6.8)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 03:22:36 PST 2014

On Monday March 03 2014 13:25:20 Ian Wadham wrote:

> Yes, but I don't know what they all are.  I have tried to find out … :-(  They
> are portable, in a language and library sense, but not in a design sense.
> KDE/Linux is one desktop/OS and OS X is another.  It's a difference in
> infrastructure.

As long as there are no clashes such as ports being required by both infrastructures (or IRQs :) ), they shouldn't bite each other. But there can also be differences in the system calls being used, the pthread implementation isn't identical between Linux and OS X, for instance. The way shared library paths and symlinks are handled, visibility of symbols from the host application in dynamically loaded code are other examples. Porting from Linux to Darwin can be much less straightforward than one would like!

> after that we are a little in the dark.  If you make any progress with
> Calligra, please let the Macports guys know how you did it.

I'm gonna start small and in any case I'll first have to have a working KDE base, which seems far from being the case at the moment. And diving into such a huge and mostly alien (to me) codebase is a little dissuasive, I must admit :-/

> Switch to LibreOffice --- it's made in France, n'est ce pas?  It's up to

I don't care where it's made, and I don't have anything against X11 (in fact, I'd love to find the sources to try and rebuild the 1.12 version). As indicated I don't like the fact that PS or EPS figures aren't handled correctly (IMHO), i.e. sent as such to PostScript printers or when converting to PDF, but rasterised. I've filed an issue on that long ago, and that seems to be going nowhere...
In any case, for some, possibly unfounded, reason I'd go with Apache's version, they recently picked up OpenOffice where Oracle had left it.
Of course, if LibreOffice provides a good importer for Apple iWork documents I'd go with that (it's not like it's easy to NOT have it installed on mainstream Linux distros anyway).

Oh, and if someone knows of something that allows one to run Linux applications in OS X memory space more or less like Wine does with win32 apps, I'd love to hear about that too. I think there was something like that (though possibly the other way, OS X on Linux) back in 2004 or so when I decided to get a Mac. Never played with it because in the end I never had enough reason to make a dual-boot Linux system... all apps I use (including my own code) work(ed) well enough either in OS X native versions or under Apple's X11 ("on the other side of the screen, I used to run X11 fullscreen for a "pure experience" :) )

Cheers,
R.