building kde4-baseapps (10.6.8)

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 14:40:35 PST 2014

On 03/03/2014, at 10:22 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Monday March 03 2014 13:25:20 Ian Wadham wrote:
>
>> Yes, but I don't know what they all are.  I have tried to find out … :-(  They
>> are portable, in a language and library sense, but not in a design sense.
>> KDE/Linux is one desktop/OS and OS X is another.  It's a difference in
>> infrastructure.
>
> As long as there are no clashes such as ports being required by both infrastructures (or IRQs :) ), they shouldn't bite each other. But there can also be differences in the system calls being used, the pthread implementation isn't identical between Linux and OS X, for instance. The way shared library paths and symlinks are handled, visibility of symbols from the host application in dynamically loaded code are other examples. Porting from Linux to Darwin can be much less straightforward than one would like!
>
>> after that we are a little in the dark.  If you make any progress with
>> Calligra, please let the Macports guys know how you did it.
>
> I'm gonna start small and in any case I'll first have to have a working KDE base, which seems far from being the case at the moment. And diving into such a huge and mostly alien (to me) codebase is a little dissuasive, I must admit :-/

I would suggest that you cut your losses and bypass (ignore) kde4-baseapps
for now.  I have installed it at KDE version 4.10.1 on Lion OS X 10.7.5 and
AFAICR had no problems installing it.  The only reason I installed it is because
it is a dependency of kdesdk4 (KDE system development kit) and there is a
utility in there I wanted to use in my programming work.

kde4-baseapps does include Dolphin, the KDE file manager, but that does not
work for me.  It crashes without displaying any window.  What's more, Dr Konqui,
the KDE crash analyser, does not work for me either … :-)

So yes, start small.  Most of the KDE games and KDE educational apps work OK
on the Mac.  In the case of other KDE apps, you can use "port deps <appname>"
to see the dependencies of whatever app interests you, before you install it.  The
shorter the list, the more your chances of success, in my experience ...

No need to dive into any codebases … :-)

Cheers, Ian W.