Workaround gnutar for gdbm

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Mon Mar 3 15:58:35 PST 2014

Hi Alejandro,

> Path to gnu tar seems hardcoded in make procedure for gdbm so here's
> how I quickly worked around that problem:

I can assure you that is not the case. I'm on Mavericks, don't have /usr/bin/gnutar and no gnutar port installed and gdbm builds fine from source (even in the sandbox hiding /usr/local and all files gdbm doesn't depend on) for me.

> So if you into /usr/bin/gnutar not found whilst upgrading your ports
> after Maveriks just install gnu tar from port (sudo port install
> gnutar) and then cd /usr/bin and sudo ln -s /opt/local/bin/gnutar .

Please don't change stuff in /usr/bin – that's Apple-land. Furthermore, this symlink might later be picked up by MacPorts' configure script during its next selfupdate and then end up getting baked into your MacPorts release, effectively breaking it when you (or the next OS upgrade) ever remove it again. So, save yourself some trouble, delete the symlink and follow the instructions specifically laid out for this very case:

 - https://trac.macports.org/wiki/MavericksProblems#UpdatingMacPortsBase
 - https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration (since you didn't do that after upgrading to Mavericks, I assume)
 - http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/106189/missing-usr-bin-gnutar-on-mavericks-macports
 - https://twitter.com/macports/status/393296788062355456
 - and the numerous mentions of this very issue on this mailing list

After you've done Migration, everything should be back to normal again.

--
Clemens Lang