Workaround gnutar for gdbm

Alejandro Imass aimass at yabarana.com
Mon Mar 3 16:03:26 PST 2014

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 6:58 PM, Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> wrote:
> Hi Alejandro,
>
> I can assure you that is not the case. I'm on Mavericks, don't have /usr/bin/gnutar and no gnutar port installed and gdbm builds fine from source (even in the sandbox hiding /usr/local and all files gdbm doesn't depend on) for me.

[...]

> Please don't change stuff in /usr/bin - that's Apple-land. Furthermore, this symlink might later be picked up by MacPorts' configure script during its next selfupdate and then end up getting baked into your MacPorts release, effectively breaking it when you (or the next OS upgrade) ever remove it again. So, save yourself some trouble, delete the symlink and follow the instructions specifically laid out for this very case:
>
>  - https://trac.macports.org/wiki/MavericksProblems#UpdatingMacPortsBase
>  - https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration (since you didn't do that after upgrading to Mavericks, I assume)
>  - http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/106189/missing-usr-bin-gnutar-on-mavericks-macports
>  - https://twitter.com/macports/status/393296788062355456
>  - and the numerous mentions of this very issue on this mailing list
>
> After you've done Migration, everything should be back to normal again.
>
> --
> Clemens Lang

Thanks a lot for both your replies. I will follow the upgrade
procedure then. I was running a pretty well updated version of Xcode
and OS X and since my Xcode didn't change I figured it was just a
minor nuance but apparently it's not. 5 mins after I wrote the email I
saw the first big gotcha with llvm 3 :(

Thanks again!

Alejandro Imass