Vim upgrade lost spelling and syntax highlights

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Mar 4 10:34:40 PST 2014

Hello,

On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 09:42:32 -0700, LuKreme wrote:
> Can't open file /opt/local/share/vim/syntax/syntax.vim
> Warning: Cannot find word list "en.utf-8.spl" or “en.ascii.spl"

Do you customize the 'runtimepath' setting in any way in your .vimrc?
This might happen if you remove default system directories. Maybe you
hardcoded /opt/local/share/vim/vim73/, but now it needs to
be /opt/local/share/vim/vim74/?

> and none of the spelling or syntax coloring loads. Don’t see anything
> obvious in the variants.
>
> vim @7.4.052 (editors)
> Variants:             athena, big, breakindent, cscope, gtk1, gtk2,
> [+]huge, lua, motif, perl, python, python25, python26, python27,
> python31, python32, python33, ruby, ruby18, ruby19, ruby20, small,
> tcl, tiny, universal, x11, xim

The port info output does not show what you actually installed.
Please check 'port installed vim' instead.

> Also, isn’t 7.4.052 a bit old? I thought the current was 7.4.192?

It was released in October, so it's not really old. This is also the
version on which the current MacVim release is based on. Be aware that
not all patches always affect vim built for Mac OS X in MacPorts, as
they may target Windows or other platforms.

Is there a particular bug fix from a later patch you are looking for?

Rainer