starting gtk3 app launches new X server?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 01:21:27 PST 2014

I just installed oxygen-gtk{2,3}-engines from source in MacPorts. The build went smoothly using gcc-4.2 (under 10.6.8), I only had to make ".so" symlinks to the shared objects which of course received a .dylib extension. However, when I launch oxygen-gtk3-demo, something is triggered that tries to launch a new X server via launchd (ending up in a loop because it the new server quits almost instantly). This happens despite the fact that I start the application from an xterm commandline, so with a valid DISPLAY variable. The gtk2 version does not do this.

What gives? Is this due to some overzealous AI on MacPorts side of things, or on the XQuartz side?

R.