building kde4(-baseapps)

"René J.V. Bertin" rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 08:24:48 PDT 2014

On Mar 11, 2014, at 15:44, Nicolas Pavillon wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> I've been making some progress, using gcc-4.2 and tweaking Portfiles where required. Lots of apps appear to be nicely functional, even, including Kate and Konsole. (I had an issue with KWrite, but since I hardly ever used it I dropped it). I should say that I built Kate, Konsole and a number of others "by hand", not using port.
> I am still surprised that you have to build so much ports by hand. The ones you explicitly name built typically fine on all configurations I could test, including the build bot of 10.6, which is the same system as yours to my understanding, although the XCode version is different. The fact that you are using a custom install prefix although prevents you to use the binary distributables.

Ahh!? I've been wondering about that ... I do have a symlink from /opt/local pointing to my real install location. For quite a while I never "told" MacPorts about that little trick, until I started to get bitten a bit too often by OS X's quirk of resolving symlinks before storing "rpaths" in shared libraries and executables.

I must have overlooked the fact that Konsole is in MacPorts, given how it built without a single hickup that should also have been the case when installing through port.

>> KMail works, except for the settings dialog, which shows an empty and very narrow left side-bar, and an otherwise empty window with just the button row on the bottom. It built without issues with the other kdepim apps, so I wonder if this is a known issue?
> Several PIM applications of KDE rely on the akonadi server which must be running, but I am not sure about KMail. You can refer to “port notes akonadi” about this.

There are a whole bunch of akonadi processes running, including akonadiserver. That probably explains that KMail works, apart from the settings dialog issue. And I can hardly imagine that's caused by akonadi.
The systemsettings app I built doesn't do anything apparently because the SystemSettingsView services are unknown, maybe the KMail dialog issue is related?

>> The same references seem to be biting me building kde4-workspace by hand. I'd like to have at least the systemsettings tool, and if I'd be curious to see how kwin works .. as an X11 window manager :)
> They are indeed also issues with required dependencies on X11 on this side, which is incompatible with the use of the native qt4-mac port. This is described in the ticket 33780 (https://trac.macports.org/ticket/33780), where there are apparently patches waiting review upstream to make it work.

Good to know. I've managed to deactivate most X11 dependencies through the CMake files and a few hacks in the source code so that the doc, kcheckpass, kcontrol, kstyles, kwrited, python, qguiplatformplugin_kde, ruby, statusnotifierwatcher, systemsettings and webkit members build, mostly to see where it would take me.
To my surprise, the oxygen style works almost perfectly, it only draws too heavy borders inside text entry widgets - and that's not configurable. But sadly the systemsettings app fails to work, despite the fact that all control panels of interest have been built.

I just noticed that I can no longer save changes to the kwallet configuration info - do the kwallet applications require special permissions and/or ownership (setuid for instance)?