clang memory usage vs. gcc (and OS X 10.8, 10.9, ...)

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sun Mar 16 15:44:17 PDT 2014

Hi,

> On 16 Mar 2014, at 10:34 pm, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday March 16 2014 19:44:14 Christopher Jones wrote:
>>
>>> On 16 Mar 2014, at 7:14pm, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Its different because Apple, because of the above GPL3+ issue, will not provide either gcc release that uses libc++, or a clang release that uses libstdc++. Linux, being GPL3+ friendly is happy to do the work, so on recent Linux systems you get up to date clang and gcc releases that a) both support c++11 and b) can be intermixed, as both use the same c++ runtime.
>
> But both will use libstdc++ - because a Linux version of GCC that supports clang's c++11 could surely be built on OS X too?

In theory yes. In practise, it will will require someone to step up to the mark to provide it. And that someone will not be anyone associated to Apple in any way, as they cannot touch anything GPL3. Honestly, i don't really see the point. Better to just support clang (and provide bug reports to fix issues such as the one to hand.)