usage numbers for macports vs. homebrew?

Mark Anderson emer at emer.net
Tue Mar 18 17:53:09 PDT 2014

Yeah, I think tcl is one of the things that confounds people the most. Not
really learned that much anymore. I learned it long ago for CAD tools from
IBM.

But really, both Homebrew and Macports are domain specific languages from
the port writers perspective. You've got to learn it anyway. People in my
CS department lab would go to Homebrew first and then come ask me how to
install MacPorts since we have much better package selection.

For instance: "If I type brew search tex, it recommends installing MacTex
instead of a from-source install." LAME.

Mark

--Mark
Mark E. Anderson <emer at emer.net>