Collaborating on Github (was Re: usage numbers for macports vs. homebrew?)

Davor Cubranic cubranic at stat.ubc.ca
Sat Mar 22 12:01:51 PDT 2014

On Mar 18, 2014, at 10:54 AM, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:

>> GitHub was the new exciting place to be as well.
>
> GitHub plus not having to learn/use tcl seem to be the major features that pull people/create interest from what I've seen (but I haven't looked in on it in a while).

Github is really good at lowering the barrier to participation. I’ve noticed how many of the Perl modules from CPAN have moved their development there. Here is a comment from David Golden, one of the core Perl devs: http://www.dagolden.com/index.php/361/convert-to-git-and-get-more-patches/

Its issue tracker may not be as good as Trac or Bugzilla, especially for big projects with hundreds of open issues, but for collaboration over code it’s the best tool out there right now.

Davor