cairo / pango variant conflict?

Peter Danecek Peter.Danecek at bo.ingv.it
Wed Mar 19 01:31:18 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I was trying to update some ports and realised that I run into some variant conflict. However, I do not completely understand why these restrictions are in place and where they originate.

I have cairo installed as cairo @1.12.16_2+quartz+universal+x11, with both x11 AND quartz activated, I think that was necessary because I run into some other issue.

Now pango failed to upgrade, because +x11 variant was installed. However, from what I understand (see below), pango as well would allow to install with both variants x11 and quartz, as the variants are not conflicting. But to activate pango +x11, I am requested to install cairo -x11.

Why that, wouldn't it be sufficient to request cairo +quartz instead, at least it would look more consistent to the user. What is the technical background.

Note: I am able to install cairo +universal +quartz, which results in pango @1.36.3_0+quartz+universal+x11.

Thanks!
~petr