MacPorts Statistics (was Re: usage numbers for macports vs. homebrew?)

Eric Gallager egall at gwmail.gwu.edu
Wed Mar 19 14:49:38 PDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> > As I understand it, the statistics process arose
> > in GSOC 11, right?  Is it pretty much as
> > described at:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Is the above accurate?  I understand that Popcon
> > tracks the last access time (atime) for files in
> > a port and that our implementation does not.
>
> Yes, that's correct.
>

> > From what I can see, our tool will not gather
> > whether a port was Requested or not.  I think
> > that's a key data point.  Some libs will get
> > installed very frequently as dependencies but
> > will seldom be requested.
>
> That's actually correct as far as I know, yes. The submission script
> currently tells the server whether a port is active or inactive, but not
> whether it was requested. We should add that.
>

> > Also, this is implemented as a weekly launchd
> > job.  What happens if there is a problem
> > somewhere between the users machine and the
> > server receiving the data?  Does the user job
> > abort gracefully? Try again?
>
> The job aborts gracefully and will run again next week.
>
> > What is the user
> > wants to get rid of MacPorts and deletes
> > /opt/local/*.  My experience is that launchd will
> > _never_ stop trying to run the missing job and
> > will spam the Console log with complaints about
> > it.
>
> The files installed by MacPorts in /Library/LaunchDaemons are usually
> symlinks. If you nuke /opt/local, launchd won't be able to find the plist
> and can't run the job. I don't know whether that leaves any log messages.

Depends on whether the job is marked as "Keep Alive" and is still running.
If this is the case, and its process is killed, when it tries to respawn
itself, it will leave log messages like this:

launchctl: Couldn't
stat("/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.nonexistingplist.plist"): No such
file or directory
nothing found to load