MacPorts Statistics (was Re: usage numbers for macports vs. homebrew?)

MK-MacPorts at techno.ms MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Wed Mar 19 23:55:52 PDT 2014

On 19 Mar 2014, at 21:03 , Jeremy Lavergne <jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org> wrote:
>> From what I can see, our tool will not gather whether a port was Requested or not.  I think that's a key data point.  Some libs will get installed very frequently as dependencies but will seldom be requested.
> At the time of GSoC11, I don’t think MacPorts even had the notion of requested ports.
> Nothing prevents this from being added at any later date.

Counting requested ports seems a better approach to it, but is certainly very much privacy related.

One has to add that only by focusing on requested ports all the statistics graphs make much more sense. Otherwise one would see - as now - only the very basic ports being shown in the stats as most installed ports. This is certainly also vital information, but perhaps one could have switch to toggle the viewpoint between all ports and only considering requested ones.