MacPorts Statistics (was Re: usage numbers for macports vs. homebrew?)

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sat Mar 22 12:55:40 PDT 2014

Hi,

> On the other hand, the user data is anonymized by the UUID, right? Is there
> anything in the data that ties the data to a user, beyond the UUID, which is
> generated randomly by the user install? ipaddress?

We only store the UUID, there's no connection to any personal data. The apache
logfile has IPs, but those are regularly rotated and I'll look into anonymizing
those even more, possibly by clearing any but the first two octets.

I do not log any post data along with the IP address, so I cannot tie IPs to
UUIDs, except maybe by correlating the last-update timestamp and the logfile.

> I’m not arguing that the data should be completely public, but checking where
> we are were the data to become completely public through accident or hack,
> etc. And maybe I’m suggesting that it might not be so dangerous to make the
> data available to a trusted committer as a step toward improving the
> system...

What about people who are not committers? Plus, development can be done with
random auto-generated data and there even is a script to generate some in the
source tree.

--
Clemens Lang