MacPorts Statistics (was Re: usage numbers for macports vs. homebrew?)

MK-MacPorts at techno.ms MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Sun Mar 23 00:34:03 PDT 2014

On 22 Mar 2014, at 20:55 , Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> wrote:
> I do not log any post data along with the IP address, so I cannot tie IPs to
> UUIDs, except maybe by correlating the last-update timestamp and the log file.

We are talking NSA-like meta-data, which could be linked to a real person…

Well, I wanted to bring up these concerns, since - back then when the project was being worked on in GSOC - we had a big discussion about whether the stats project should go live at all (or rather not) because of privacy issues.

No one should have UUID linked content. This should be usage statistics and not user statistics, may it be anonymised or not.

Don’t you all agree anymore?