How do I cause standalone X11 apps to use MacPorts X11?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 10:24:28 PDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Kevin Reid <kpreid at switchb.org> wrote:

> It sounds like the assumption is that when you install third-party X11 as
> instructed by the dialog, it will _replace_ the system-provided X11. But
> MacPorts doesn't replace system files as a rule -- I'm looking for a
> solution which fits into MacPorts's way of working.

There isn't one, really; third party stuff is not expected to understand
MacPorts. The only real alternative to the symlink is finding all the stuff
in the 3rd party app and using install_name_tool to repoint it to MacPorts'
X11; this may be problematic. (Indeed, it's entirely possible that you will
run into problems with e.g. iconv with either the symlink or
install_name_tool.)

Perhaps the best solution for such third party programs is to bite the
bullet and install XQuartz. You will need to reset the launchd stuff
afterward if you want to keep using MacPorts' X11.