Macports basics

Gio Bacareza gbacareza at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 03:15:52 PDT 2014

Just installed Macports with the intention of using it to install Octave.
Obviously I'm very new as I'm a first timer.

When attempting to install Octave with command: sudo port install octave
+atlas+docs, I get the Error: Processing of port octave failed.

Questions:
1. Does this mean that Octave was not installed at all?
1a. Or does it mean that only the failed dependencies, (eg Error: The
following dependencies were not installed: SuiteSparse atlas arpack gcc48
cctools ... ) were not installed?
 1b. If on the contrary Octave was installed except for dependencies, where
could I find executable?
2. What happened to all the dependencies that were installed eg Installing
libxml2 @2.9.1_0 which had no errors?
 2a. Where were they installed?
3. What do terms "Activating" and "Cleaning" (eg --->  Installing libtool
@2.4.2_3 --->  Activating libtool @2.4.2_3) actually do?
 3a. Do they overwrite libraries and files already there before this
operation?
4. If I decide to not attempt the port installation of Octave and try other
means, how do I clean up?

--
cheers,

Gio