Lost "port" command

Bill Christensen billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Sat May 3 14:11:50 PDT 2014

On 5/3/14 2:49 PM, Jan Stary wrote:
> On May 03 12:27:18, billc_lists at greenbuilder.com wrote:
>> I installed a non-MacPorts package on my server the other day -
>> WordPress command line interface (wp-cli) which uses the "wp"
>> command.  It's working properly.
>>
>> But I just went to do my regular updates using MacPorts, and I've
>> lost my "port" command.  I'm getting "command not found".
> Are you sure this installation did not fuck up your PATH?
> Some insane installations do.

I suspect it did. There was some manual stuff that someone else did
which probably overwrote it.
> How do I (a) re-establish the port command
> It is most probably still there, just not in your PATH.
> Can you run /opt/local/bin/port ?
Thank you.  That works.

So do I just need to run something like

export
PATH=$PATH:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/X11/bin

Fortunately, I saved the terminal output from what the other guy did
just in case, and have a parallel dev machine to refer to.  This is from
an echo $PATH command early in that session.

The parallel machine shows:

/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

Are the repeats in that unneeded?  I'm seeing several "/opt/local/bin"
instances, for example.

> and (b) keep the wp command?
> Install this software into /usr/local (or somewhere)
> and set your PATH accordingly.
Right.

So what happened is that the existing PATH to /opt/local/bin/port got
wiped, I guess.

> Better yet, create
> a proper macport of this software,
> then install it via macports.
Yeah, I checked for a port first and there isn't any yet.  It's a fairly
new creature.

I don't know how to create a port, and though it would be a good way to
give back I don't have the bandwidth at the moment to put a lot of time
into something like that.