Different installed and downloaded MacPorts base versions

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon May 12 08:34:51 PDT 2014

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Roberto Avanzi
<roberto.avanzi at gmail.com>wrote:

> >  --->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
> >  MacPorts base version 2.3.0 installed,
> >  MacPorts base version 2.2.1 downloaded.
> >  --->  Updating the ports tree
> >  --->  MacPorts base is probably trunk or a release candidate
>
> What does it mean that the installed and downloaded MacPorts base versions
> differ?
> Which one is actually used?

It always downloads the currently released MacPorts base along with ports.
In this case, it's noting that you have a later version installed and
therefore not installing the downloaded one, so you continue to have the
prerelease installed.

Furthermore, the previous version of Pallet I had on my computer just
> crashes. So I tried to remove and recompile it. But it does not compile (I
> attach the log file), and I do not understand why.

I can't help with this, but it would not be surprising that Pallet has not
been updated to work with base 2.3 yet; there are some significant changes.