cdrtools: MacPorts version doesn't work as expected but manually compiled one does

Davide Liessi davide.liessi at gmail.com
Fri May 23 04:18:34 PDT 2014

Dear all,
months ago [1] I reported this problem, but I forgot to cc: the port maintainer.

> I installed cdrtools both with MacPorts and manually compiling it.
> MacPorts' installation cannot find the DVD drive, but manual installation does.
> Compare, for example, the output of "cdrecord -scanbus":
>
> $ /opt/local/bin/cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.00 (i386-apple-macosx10.8.0) Copyright
> (C) 1995-2010 J?rg Schilling
> /opt/local/bin/cdrecord: Unknown error: 0. No matching device
> IOBDServices/15 found.. Cannot open or use SCSI driver.
> /opt/local/bin/cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
> /opt/local/bin/cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try
> 'cdrecord dev=help'.
>
> $ /opt/schily/bin/cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 3.00 (i386-apple-macosx10.8.0) Copyright
> (C) 1995-2010 J?rg Schilling
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.9'.
> scsibus1:
> 1,0,0 100) 'MATSHITA' 'DVD-R   UJ-867  ' 'HB01' Removable CD-ROM
> 1,1,0 101) *
> 1,2,0 102) *
> 1,3,0 103) *
> 1,4,0 104) *
> 1,5,0 105) *
> 1,6,0 106) *
> 1,7,0 107) *

I'm still having that problem and I get the same output from the commands above.
I tried also updating to version 3.01a23 (latest unstable) both the
Portfile [2] and the manually compiled version and I have the same
problem and get the same output (except for the copyright years).

Do you get the same output?
How can we solve this problem?

I can use the manually compiled version, but I would prefer to manage
all my command line software with MacPorts.

@Ryan: in [3] you said that you got the same output with MacPorts/cdrtools.
Could you please try installing manually as described in [4] and check
the output?
All files are installed under /opt/schily, except two settings files:
/etc/default/{cdrecord,rscsi}.

Best wishes.
Davide

[1] https://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2013-August/033270.html

[2] Updating the Portfile was not as trivial as updating the version
number and checksums:
- some changes were necessary in the patch, because some lines in the
source file were broken in two lines;
- the extracted directory (cdrtools-3.01) needed to be moved to match
${worksrcpath} (cdrtools-3.01a23);
- I set INS_BASE and INS_RBASE (see INSTALL in the source) both in
build.args and destroot.args and removed the post-destroot.
If you want, I can send a patch with my changes, but I don't think
that this problem depends on the differences between 3.00 and 3.01a23.

[3] https://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2013-August/033273.html

[4] https://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2013-August/033284.html