Cannot get gimp app running

David Rowe drowe at roden.myzen.co.uk
Sat Nov 1 13:00:04 PDT 2014

On 01/11/2014 16:35, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> . . . .

    Don't you get start-up messages like this?

    | DaveHorsMacBook% gimp
    | Error spawning command line `launchctl getenv
    DBUS_LAUNCHD_SESSION_BUS_SOCKET': Child process killed by signal 11
    | Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchctl terminated
    abnormally without any error message
    | Not enough memory
    |
    | (gimp:2988): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp: gimp_wire_read(): error
    |
    | (gimp:2988): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp: gimp_wire_read(): error
    (Zillions of them, as Gimp checks plug-in after plug-in, whilst
    appearing to access the Net.)

    . . . .

If I go to the the command line and type gimp, then yes I get exactly
these messages too. Without a lot of research, I couldn't tell you what
they mean - but when gimp is eventually running it seems to work OK.

However I never noticed these messages with gimp before because I always
used the launcher GIMP.app  in /Applications/MacPorts and it presumably
discards non-fatal error messages. In my experience of MacPorts, many
applications spew out non-fatal error messages during launch - but if
they ever get to open the main window, they are usually OK to use.

By the way, did you look in /Applications/MacPorts to see if you have
the GIMP.app launcher there?

You also asked:

    . . . . .

    Speaking of launchers, is there an Idiot's Guide to it anywhere?  Apple
    appear to have gone out of their way to abolish such fine old institutions
    like /etc/inetd.conf, /etc/crontab, /etc/fstab etc...

You ask if there is "an Idiot's Guide to it" - but I am not sure what
you are referring to by "it". Are you asking about Apple MacOSX or
MacPorts. MacPorts goes out of its way to put its stuff in different
places to MacOSX so that neither will mess up the other's files during
updates. MacPorts also steers clear of places where other Open Sources
software might install - e.g. the MySQL you get direct from
www.mysql.com installs into /usr/local so it doesn't conflict with MySQL
installed through MacPorts

If you want to understand where MacPorts puts its stuff then it is
implied in Section 2.4 of the MacPorts manual which gives the command
for completely ripping a MacPorts installation from your system:|

|$|  *|sudo rm -rf \
         /opt/local \
         /Applications/DarwinPorts \
         /Applications/MacPorts \
         /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.* \
         /Library/Receipts/DarwinPorts*.pkg \
         /Library/Receipts/MacPorts*.pkg \
         /Library/StartupItems/DarwinPortsStartup \
         /Library/Tcl/darwinports1.0 \
         /Library/Tcl/macports1.0 \
         ~/.macports|*

which is why the launchers for MacPorts apps go into
/Applications/MacPorts, rather than being sprinked all over
/Applications itself.

I hope this helps

David Rowe