The crazy thing I did to fix Yosemite performance
gvibe06 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 10:06:35 PST 2014
So after much frustration, much stress, and of course, I broke my Mac in
the process. Backed up my user folder from single-user mode (since my
mac would not boot all the way). Then I wiped and reinstalled Mavericks,
upgraded to Yosemite, and then restored my user folder.
Back story: In an attempt to figure out why the services mds and
mdworker were running away with my CPU. Nothing I did resolved this,
including putting every single folder except /Applications in the
exception list for Spotlight. This is where I started editing
LaunchDaemons and LaunchAgents and where breakage occurred.
This literally resolved all of the performance issues I saw reported
from many others besides myself about the performance of Yosemite via
the standard upgrade path.
On to MacPorts...
- Broken link checks
- Binary database updates
Both go within seconds, except for the binary database initial creation,
which took a couple of minutes. After which, everything is running like new.
I know it is and was a pain in the rear to have to do all of this, but
if there is one thing Apple has done correct it is that restoring a
backed up user folder to a fresh install, puts all configurations,
accounts, and other customizations right back to where they were with no
I hope this gives some insight on a sure fire way of resolving Yosemite
More information about the macports-users