Cannot get gimp app running

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon Nov 3 11:14:58 PST 2014

FWIW, the issue is that p11-kit (a dependency of the ffmpeg gegl module) is adding a child atfork handler when the ffmpeg gegl module is opened during initialization.  When the module is closed after reading in initialization iformation, the system is left with a dangling pointer.  gimp later fork()s to execute some child processes

This bug shows off exactly why dlclose() is so dangerous and why fork()/exec() is so bad.  Don't dlclose(); our VM is quite large these days.  Don't fork()/exec() as it wastes cycles and is prone to this kind of bug; use posix_spawn APIs instead.  They're MUCH more efficient.

I added a patch to https://trac.macports.org/ticket/45309 which just disables the dlclose() in gmodule.

--Jeremy