The crazy thing I did to fix Yosemite performance

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 12:03:55 PST 2014

On Monday November 03 2014 11:24:51 Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:

> syslog has nothing to do with it.  It's just logging what it's told to log.  If you see a lot of CPU usage from syslogd, check what is

We should be careful to distinguish the syslog and syslogd commands. I made the error of not doing that very recently, when I had a syslog process running at 100% and hitting the fans almost each time I woke the machine from sleep.
Turned out that somehow a .applesaved file had gotten itself into the periodic directory, and that contained a log prune line from before ASL, i.e. `syslog -p <some expression>`. Current day syslog (=/= syslogd) ignores the -p switch, and then just spent up to 15min dumping all filtered log messages into /var/log/daily.out .

A clean reinstall would have resolved that issue. Fortunately I figured out the culprit before I could even think of going that route.

R.