port uninstall hangs after upgrading to Yosemite

Nick Johnson n.d.johnson at me.com
Sun Nov 9 12:07:08 PST 2014

After upgrading to Yosemite today, I had to upgrade macports, so I’ve been following instructions as per

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration>

I reinstalled Xcode ok, and the command line tools.  Accepted the license, then began on macports itself.

I installed macports base package from the .pkg file recommended which went ok

then the first two steps of the port upgrades
port -qv installed > myports.txt
and
port echo requested | cut -d ' ' -f 1 > requested.txt
both went ok, then

sudo port -f uninstall installed
went ok spewing out lots of info about the packages it was deactivating, as far as the following line, and then it hung

--->  Deactivating boost @1.56.0_1+no_single+no_static+python27

and that’s it.  I can’t get past it.  I can ctrl-c out of it, and restart it, but it hangs in the same place.  Lots of other packages have been deactivated and deinstalled no problem up to this point.

Any ideas please?  Can I force the removal of this package from the database, so the rest of the uninstalls can proceed, for instance?

one thing I’ve noticed is that if I do

port info boost, it tells me about a slightly different version number, as follows

$ port info boost
boost @1.56.0_2 (devel)
Variants:             debug, [+]no_single, [+]no_static, python25, python26,
                      [+]python27, python31, python32, python33, python34,
                      regex_match_extra, universal

                      The emphasis is on portable libraries which work well with
                      the C++ Standard Library.
Homepage:             http://www.boost.org

Library Dependencies: zlib, expat, bzip2, libiconv, icu, python27
Platforms:            darwin
License:              Boost-1
Maintainers:          nomaintainer at macports.org

Any help gratefully received.  My machine’s a mid-2009 MBA, 2G RAM, 2.13GHz Intel core2 duo, by the way.

Thanks

N.