pykde4

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Nov 10 15:13:56 PST 2014

On Nov 10, 2014, at 4:31 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> I've always wondered: Apple describe how you can make frameworks containing several main versions, but never document how to tell the linker which one to use... It clearly doesn't pick the newest version because I don't have Python 3.4 installed yet...

Apple intentionally does not provide a way to tell the linker which version of the framework to use; the intention is that you will link with the latest version. The reason for continuing to provide old versions of a framework is so that older applications that were compiled against the old version of the framework continue to work.

That's fine and good for the OS and for applications distributed as binaries, but it's not how we want to use e.g. the python frameworks in MacPorts where we want to specify which one to use, which is why things get a little more complicated in the python portgroup.