Thank you!

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 14:19:55 PST 2014

On Thursday November 13 2014 08:36:07 Dave Horsfall wrote:

> 1) Don't change anything such as symlinks etc; it *will* break something.

And don't be surprised if you can do clever symlinking all you want, MacPorts will know what you're up to and figure out where stuff really lives :-/

> 2) After a major upgrade e.g. to Yosemite, you *must* do MacPorts/Xcode etc.

Yes. You mean 10.10.1, right? Right? ;)

> Oh, and my thanks to the porters too; I know it's a difficult job.

Ditto. It can be frustrating, but so much fun too.

Now that I think of it: one thing that *would* be really nice is an official way to install things that are not in MacPorts somewhere under /opt/local , with a similar support for (de)activated versions and uninstalling. That could be as "simple" as providing wrapper to configure, cmake, make etc. that basically do what they also do for those commands during port {build,destroot,install} (but with PREFIX set to ${prefix}/contrib or something of the sort).

Is there a *reason* to install under ${prefix}? Not in particular, but it does seem handy.

R.