questions regarding selfupdate issue

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 05:45:50 PST 2014

On Thursday November 13 2014 14:04:06 Clemens Lang wrote:

> one of the image tarballs. Some users do this in order to save space on an SSD,
> but doing so is wrong and dangerous.

What, it's wrong and dangerous to make place by removing unused files? You ever use Swahili, Klingon and whathaveyou, or other less obscure languages you simply don't know but for which lots of ports add translations?

I agree one has to know what one does when going in and removing any file from a system; it would be nicer if the install procedure provided a way to prune this kind of useless space wasters.
In theory it should be fine to do this kind of pruning in ${destroot} before the installation phase, right?

> You should uninstall and re-install all ports for which images_to_archives.tcl
> is triggered.

Yeah, I figured that. Too many of them. I had a look at the script if I could "hack it in" to be done automatically, but it's too much unknown territory for me. My hunch I'd do it on a port-by-port basis when problems arise seems to be the way to go.

R.