questions regarding selfupdate issue

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Nov 13 06:53:17 PST 2014

Hi,

----- On 13 Nov, 2014, at 14:45, René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com wrote:

>> one of the image tarballs. Some users do this in order to save space on an SSD,
>> but doing so is wrong and dangerous.
>
> What, it's wrong and dangerous to make place by removing unused files? You ever
> use Swahili, Klingon and whathaveyou, or other less obscure languages you
> simply don't know but for which lots of ports add translations?

This is a misunderstanding. I am not talking about removing some translation files,
I'm talking about deleting
 /opt/local/var/macports/software/gsed/gsed-4.2.2_0.darwin_10.x86_64.tbz2
and similar files. If the file existed (as it should when gsed 4.2.2_0 was
installed using MacPorts >= 2.0.0), the code path that tried to create it using
tar -cjf would not have been triggered at all, and thus would not have failed. So,
apparently something or somebody deleted this file without removing the metadata
about it in the MacPorts registry, and _that's_ the problem.

So, yes, it is wrong and dangerous to remove these files, since they are, in fact,
not unused as you noticed.

--
Clemens Lang