gcc49 vs gcc48

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Tue Nov 18 11:14:12 PST 2014

On Nov 18, 2014, at 12:53 PM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday November 18 2014 11:59:10 Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>
>> The GPL does not prohibit binary distribution.
>
> No, but I was under the impression that Apple doesn't want to distribute GPLed binaries.

As far as I understand it, the problem occurs when distributing binaries of software Foo and software Bar, where Foo is a GPL-licensed dependency of Bar, and Bar's license conflicts with (read: is more restrictive than) the GPL. The license of Foo prohibits binary distribution in this case.

Apple's aversion to GPLv3 is a separate issue. They probably don't want their own code to catch GPLv3 from swapping bodily fluids.

vq