Odd non-fatal GIMP Behavior

Jeff Singleton gvibe06 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 20:46:54 PST 2014

On 11/18/14 7:17 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> find ~ -name GIMP.app 2>/dev/null

The only other GIMP.app is in the GIMPskel folder in my Downloads folder
where I build the application bundle.

	jsingleton at minimac ~ $  find ~ -name GIMP.app 2>/dev/null
	/Users/jsingleton/Downloads/GIMPskel/GIMP.app
	jsingleton at minimac ~ $

The only clear thing here is that what is shown in the error does not
reflect the truth. When I open Finder, and then click on Applications,
and then double-click on GIMP.app, how exactly is that my Users folder?

	jsingleton at minimac ~ $  ls -1 /Applications/G*
	/Applications/GIMP.app:
	Contents/

Its not symlinked...therefore its not starting from my Users folder.

Lastly, that error mentioned version 7.0.0 of libiconv.2.dyld being the
issue. Because I am using what some might consider the ancient method
for creating an application bundle of GIMP, via the GIMPskel package
from Sourceforge - this method requires me to build ScriptExecCocoa.

Digging into Xcode.app under the 10.10 SDK folder, there is in fact a
libiconv.2.dylib - and running the otool command on that shows this:

jsingleton at minimac ~ $  otool -L
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib:
	/usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version
7.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1213.0.0)

So I made some changes to the ScriptExecCocoa.xcodeproj to force it to
use the libiconv.2.dylib from MacPorts, and bam, no more crash.

Case Closed!

Jeff