Ntp -- getting it to work

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Nov 24 07:16:12 PST 2014

> On Nov 24, 2014, at 5:28 AM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> openntpd would be a good start;

openntpd looks OK, but the last time I checked, there was no one working on the portable version anymore.

> ntpd's fanatical attempt to maintain microsecond clock accuracy is overkill for 99.99% of users as well as being expensive in VM management and battery usage. Beyond that, probably try to find out what alternative API pacemaker is using and modify ntpd / openntpd to use that. (But if it were that simple, why would Apple have moved it to a new, distinct daemon instead?)

I created the ntp port because my machines haven't keep accurate time (off by multiple seconds) when using the system-provided ntp+pacemaker setup. I know of several other people who don't have any problems with the system-provided one, though. I'm not sure what's different (but I want the timestamps on my server logs to be somewhat accurate ...)

--
Daniel J. Luke